Glasgow herald online dating
It served as the Glasgow base of the D’Oyly Carte Opera but when Howard & Wyndham’s lease ran out in 1913, the Central Halls Company who owned the property ran the theatre as the Lyric Picture Palace.
During the First World War, the building was purchased by the YMCA and it became their Hostel for Soldiers and Sailors.
After the war, the YMCA reopened the theatre as the Lyric Theatre.
This picture shows the building when it was owned by the YMCA and it remained so until it was demolished in the late 1950’s. ) This mid-1920’s view of Sauchiehall Street looking west was taken near the Renfield Street intersection.
The Royalty theatre opened there in 1879 and became famous for comedies, opera and plays.
Armstrong’s Hotel is on the left and on the right with its magnificent tower and Grecian temple front is St. The tower was taken down in 1957-58 to make way for St.
Andrew’s House, a multi-storey office building, but the church itself remained in use until 1974.
The sauchie haugh or willow meadow from which the street derives its name was probably a low-lying area located near what would later become Charing Cross.
The development of Sauchiehall Street was part of the westward growth of the city, spurred by the desire of wealthy merchants to own property on the outskirts.